Global Education: The World's Biggest Lesson|
2003-04-05, 5:13 p.m.
Global Education is trying to break a world record. This is from their site:
"Nearly one billion adults can't read or write, and 115 million children are out of school. Two-thirds of them are women and girls. Yet, world leaders have promised to close the gender gap in education by 2005.
The GCE's third annual Global Week of Action will call on world leaders to keep their promise, and take immediate steps to open the doors of learning to women and girls. On 9 April we will be trying to set a new world record for the largest number of people learning the same thing at the same time. Anyone, anywhere can join in."
* To raise awareness of the current numbers of people who have no opportunity to attend school
* To raise awareness of the fact that education is everyone's right, and of the importance of education for both girls and boys
* To explain the particular difficulties girls face in getting a good education
* To explain the world record in which students are taking part
* To explain the campaign to get all of the world's children into school
To participate, check out their site at http://www.campaignforeducation.org/_html/2003-docs/02-gaw-wrinstr_en/frameset.shtml
"Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation." - Martin Luther King, Jr.