Tell Congress to Reject Bush Request for Iraq Funds|
2003-09-17, 10:35 p.m.
Unless UN Gets Leading Role and Rumsfeld Team Is Replaced
500,000 Messages Needed by Friday, September 19
President Bush is asking Congress to spend another $87 billion on the Iraq war. Tell your Representatives in Congress to use that vote to end the American quagmire there and move towards building a lasting peace. Tell Congress to reject more war funding unless:
* America's military occupation of Iraq is replaced by a United Nations security force that is given the authority for the transition of the country to a truly representative government.
* The Bush team, led by Secretary Rumsfeld, responsible for the quagmire in Iraq is dismissed.
If you want your Representatives to use the upcoming Iraq vote to end the quagmire there, click here and we will send your free fax* (text below):
By taking this action, you will be joining the majority of Americans who believe that our policy in Iraq is wrong. To maximize our impact in Congress, TrueMajority has joined with the Win Without War Coalition-a mainstream coalition of organizations ranging from the National Council of Churches to the Sierra Club-to flood Washington with e-mails, faxes, and phone calls. The coalition aims for 500,000 Americans taking this action by Friday, September 19 so that we can announce the project. Then with paid advertising and a press campaign, the coalition will organize many more participants for a November 4 day of action when TrueMajority and the entire coalition will deliver our members' messages to Congress.
Yours for Peace in Iraq,
Here's the Win Without War coalition's letter that we'll send to your Representatives on the day of action:
The invasion and occupation of Iraq-in defiance of our international allies-has led our country into a quagmire.
From the outset, we have been deceived and manipulated:
* The president and his defense team warned of Iraq's massive arsenals of weapons of mass destruction. There were no such arsenals of weapons of mass destruction.
The US occupation has left American soldiers unprepared and vulnerable, the country degenerating into chaos, and the Iraqi people embittered and hostile.
We say not so fast-not without changing course and changing the team that failed our soldiers and led us into a quagmire. We call on Congress to condition any additional funding for US policy in Iraq on:
1) The dismissal of the Bush administration team responsible for the quagmire in Iraq-starting with Defense Secretary Rumsfeld; and
- If you'd like to contact us, go here:
+ I am writing this email on my own and not on behalf of Ben & Jerry's, which is not associated with the TrueMajority campaign.
* note: A few of our strongest allies in Congress have asked us to send emails to them instead of faxes. This makes it easier for them to contact you about their position on the issue. We agree that we should help our friends in this way, and therefore we send emails instead of faxes to these special members of Congress.
"Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation." - Martin Luther King, Jr.